The roots of Vietnam Airlines go back to 1956 when the North Vietnamese government started the airline Vietnam Civil Aviation with five old Soviet made aircraft. The Vietnam war (1954 till 1975) and the embargo thereafter seriously slowed the expansion of Vietnam Airlines. It had trouble replacing its aging Soviet made fleet with modern Western made aircraft. With special deals it tried to circumvent the embargo to get Airbus and Boeing aircraft or made deals with other airlines to jointly operate on a route. Vietnam Airlines made a deal with Cathay Pacific for the route Hong Kong Hanoi as the aircrafts of Vietnam airlines were not allowed to land due to noise restrictions.
Despite these problems it continued to grow fast and added destinations and aircraft to its fleet. The decision of Bill Clinton to lift the trade embargo in 1994 allowed it to finally acquire Western made modern aircraft. Since then it has invested a lot in modern Airbus and Boeings: in the next ten years seventy new aircraft are expected to arrive which will be used to destinations where many Vietnamese live.
Vietnam Airlines has bought a 70% stake in JetStar Pacific (the other 30% belongs to Qantas) and 49% in Cambodia Angkor Air, the national carrier of Cambodia.
Vietnam Airlines flies to over 51 destinations. Most Vietnam Airlines flights are for destinations in Vietnam but Vietnam Airlines has international flights to several other countries as well, like for example China and Japan. From its main base in Hanoi 57 flights depart every week. Many people who look for Vietnam Airlines tickets look for flights to Da Nang and Ho Chi Minh City.
Utiket is a good place to start looking for Vietnam Airlines flights as we can compare all flights by Vietnam Airlines with hundreds of other airlines and dozens of booking websites.
Each passenger can bring into the cabbin one standard bag with a maximum weight of 7 kg.
The maximum weight for checked baggage is 20 kg. You can check-in multiple bags but the combined weight may not exceed 20 kg.
It is possible to check-in more weight, but there will be additional costs. Please contact Vietnam Airlines for the exact price before you book a flight.